pamelaokramer

pamelaokramer

Under the Never Sky  - Veronica Rossi Disclaimer: the cover that appears in Goodreads is not the beautiful cover that is on the current published book. I much, much prefer the current version!

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi is a young adult book I began with no expectation of liking it at all -- the premise seemed, on the surface at least, to be all too similar to other YA novels.

Imagine my surprise when by page 30, I couldn't put it down. It's a book that is extremely well written, creative, and with great characters.

The plot is different from other dystopian YA stories. A dystopian future is the setting where most humans live in sterile "pods" where everything in their lives is virtual. They wear eyepieces that transport them to alternate realms, they are fed and clothed, and life is easy.

When one of the inhabitants of the pod Reverie, a girl named Aria, is exiled by an important politician in order to hide his son's crimes, she expects to die. It's well known in the pods that just breathing the "outside" air can bring death.

Outside the faux world of pods live the "Outsiders," considered to all be savages and cannibals by those sophisticates within Reverie. Aria therefore expects to be eaten by the first person she meets, Perry.

Read the whole review at: http://www.examiner.com/young-adult-fiction-in-chicago/under-the-never-sky-by-veronica-rossi-review